Tire Gardening

Prices are soaring. Product shortages. You've lost your job. Stores are Closed. Whatever your reason for needing a garden, there's a lot to know. A lot to learn. So many different types of gardens-bed, square-food gardens, tire gardens, window gardens. Find out more here.
Readymom
Site Admin

Tire Gardening

Post by Readymom »

General Information

A new use for old tires -- A garden using tires
http://www.backwoodshome.com/articles2/sanders98.html

By Charles Sanders

ImageThere are mountains of old tires out there. Americans keep on rolling and tires keep on wearing out. Every year there is almost one scrap tire created for every man, woman, and child in the United States. In 2001 alone, Americans discarded nearly 281 million tires, weighing some 5.7 million tons. All of those old treads can provide a lot of good growing space, and we're just the folks to put them to use.

There is no appreciable risk in using recycled tires in the vegetable garden. While it is a fact that rubber tires do contain minute amounts of certain heavy metals, the compounds are tightly bonded within the actual rubber compound and do not leach into the soil. One of the ingredients in the rubber recipe is zinc. Zinc, in fact, is an essential plant element. I also expect that rubber is safer to use than treated lumber that contains copper and arsenic. Tires are durable. The very qualities that make them an environmental headache make them perfect for our uses in the garden. Once they are in place, they won't rot and will likely be there for your grandchildren to use..

Let's take a look at some ways to recycle old tires and literally reap the benefits. Gardening with recycled tires has many benefits --- continued at link, above ---
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Tire Gardening

Post by Readymom »

Tire Gardening-Safety Concerns

The Greenest Dollar

Do Recycled Tires Pose A Health Risk?
http://www.thegreenestdollar.com/2009/03/how-to-recycle-tires-in-your-garden/

According to Charles Sanders, a gardening expert and writer for Backwoods Home Magazine (where you can find an excellent article on using recycled tired in your garden here), that answer is no. According to Charles:
  • There is no appreciable risk in using recycled tires in the vegetable garden. While it is a fact that rubber tires do contain minute amounts of certain heavy metals, the compounds are tightly bonded within the actual rubber compound and do not leach into the soil. One of the ingredients in the rubber recipe is zinc. Zinc, in fact, is an essential plant element. I also expect that rubber is safer to use than treated lumber that contains copper and arsenic.
Now, let’s look at a differing opinion. According to the Editor-In-Chief at Mother Earth News, the answer is yes, tires do pose a long-term health risk.
  • Short-term, yes, tire planters are OK, although the soil in black tire planters will probably get hotter than most plants would prefer. Long-term, no, because the tire rubber will slowly biodegrade and release zinc, carcinogenic PAHs (polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons) and other toxic compounds into your soil.

The final answer? Well, I looked all over the ‘Net and found differing opinions on this. I went to several gardening forums, read articles, the whole nine yards. And, I don’t have an answer.

Half of the things I read say yes, old tires are safe because they’re “old”, so most if not all of the chemicals and “off-gassing” is gone. The other half said “No, don’t use tires for vegetables”, because they’re always going to leach.

I'll leave you with one more opinion. --- CONTINUED at LINK, above ---
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Tire Gardening

Post by Readymom »

How to Garden in a Tire
http://www.ehow.com/how_2100186_garden-tire.html

If you are looking for unusual containers for your garden, a tire is an unusual but a useful garden container. Sun-loving vegetables grow well in a tire. Since tires are filling landfills fast, gardening in a tire is the perfect opportunity to do something good for the environment. --- continued at link, above ---Copyright © 1999-2010 eHow, Inc.

Return to “Gardening”