Toothpowder Recipe

Readymom
Site Admin

Toothpowder Recipe

Post by Readymom »

Originally posted by (BeWell) at Pandemic Flu Information Forum

Tooth Powder Recipe
* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

[snip] ... Here's the toothpowder recipe, I've only made it a few times (but in larger quantities, lasted for months and months). If anyone has ?s post 'em! BTW, the kids who tried it loved it.

Here is my tooth powder recipe (such as it is...)

Clay Salt Tooth Powder Recipe

Basic recipe from book, naturally i didn't follow it but kind of changed as I went along:
  • 4 teaspoons powdered Clay (Various kinds are - French green (my favorite), Bentonite, or other kinds, can't remember the names.
    1 teaspoon fine Salt
    4 drops essential oils - they say 2 Lemon and 2 Peppermint.

Well, I thought - why make such a teensy amount?!?!? So I made a good sized bowlful, and just used a lot more clay than salt (probably more clay proportionately than the recipe above) and added Baking Soda. Then I added some powdered herbs - since it adds flavor and medicical properties. Some choices are: (all POWDERED!) No more than a few teaspoons of powdered herbs altogether.
  • Fennel
    Cloves
    Cinnamon
    Powdered Lemon peel
    Black Pepper (if fine)
    Ginger
    Peppermint
The Ginger and Pepper help tighten the gums, the Cloves, Cinnamon, Lemon peel as well as the Ginger and Pepper are anti bacterial and some are anti-viral. Fennel helps breath as do most of the others.

I mixed it all up using a wire whisk (whatever herbs I was using, don't use them all as it makes the taste funny), put it through a stainless steel strainer, and then sprinkle drops of various essential oils. I just added and mixed until it seemed strong enough but not too strong. Use the whisk again, and put through the strainer again to mix it all well. Here are some choices:
  • Fennel
    Anise
    Ginger
    Lemon (just thought of Orange - didn't use it, might be interesting with Lemon, or even Lime, too)
    Peppermint
    Wintergreen
    Tea Tree
    Grapefruit
The first time I made toothpowder I made three flavors - Peppermint, Wintergreen, and Fennel. I used several oils in each one. You might think up other oils too. The main flavor oil, then others as backup. Store in glass jars - I got glass shaker jars at (horrid) Walmart.

I liked the Wintergreen the best just cause I like that flavor. But they were all GREAT! In fact, I'm going to make some more soon. After using this tooth powder, I cannot stand tooth paste any more...

Actually, for years I've been using a clay based Ayurvedic tooth powder...uses RED clay which is very good but it is really hard to wash out of clothes..

Return to “Dental”