Newspaper Logs as a Fuel

Fuels include Charcoal, wood, propane, cow dung and more!
Readymom
Site Admin

Newspaper Logs as a Fuel

Post by Readymom »

The Farm

* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line.

Newspaper logs make a good and inexpensive source of fuel. You may prepare the logs in the following manner:

Use about eight pages of newspaper and open flat.
Spread the stack, alternating the cut sides and folded sides.
Place a 1" wood dowel or metal rod across one end and roll the paper around the rod very tightly. Roll it until there are 6-8 inches left to roll, then slip another 8 pages underneath the roll. Continue this procedure until you have a roll 4-6 inches in diameter.
With a fine wire, tie the roll on both ends. Withdraw the rod. Your newspaper log is ready to use. Four of these logs will burn about 1 hour.
Readymom
Site Admin

Newspaper Log Making Machine

Post by Readymom »

There is a great post at PlanforPandemic by 'Spoon'. He made his own newspaper log machine!

* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line.

I make logs, for my woodstove, out of newspaper. I purchased a newspaper rolling machine from Lehmans.

I made a few mods to the machine and the process.

First I added a rolling pin to the top of the shaft with two small bungies.

This allows for one person to operate the machine and keep tension while adding sheets.

I field strip the newspaper down to separated sheets and remove the coated stock inserts. I start with single sheets. They're easier to work with as opposed to double folded sheets. I crank each sheet in, leaving about 4-6" of the end exposed. I then underlap the next sheet.

With practice, you can crank out a log in under ten minutes.
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Heat Source: Newspaper Logs

Post by Readymom »

Paper Bricks - Free Fuel From Recycled Paper
https://www.instructables.com/id/Paper-Bricks-free-fuel-from-recycled-paper/

Even those who try to go paper-free still have lots of paper around the house. This is especially true if you are a student. Recycling is a great way to dispose of it, but why not turn it into something that you can use and enjoy. This makes a great project for a rainy day. While the components are simple, this project will go much faster if you have multiple people helping. There are different jobs that can be done at the same time. Do not attempt this if you only have a little bit of paper. We used several big boxes full of paper. ---CONTINUED at LINK---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

dengarden

How I Make Quick and Easy Newspaper Bricks for Burning in My Fire
https://dengarden.com/home-improvement/How-I-make-quick-and-easy-Newspaper-Bricks-for-burning-in-my-fire

Forget everything you've ever read about shredding and soaking newspaper for days to make paper logs. There's a much faster and easier way to recycle your newspaper and create effective long-burning paper bricks.

Here's how I make compressed paper bricks, quickly and easily, to use in my wood-burning stove.
---CONTINUED at LINK---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

How To Make Firewood From Recycled Paper (With Pictures)
https://urbansurvivalsite.com/make-firewood-recycled-paper/

(SNIP) ... A fire log consists of paper (usually newspapers) mixed with water in a bucket and shredded with a paint mixer attached to a drill. The shredded paper pulp is then put into a form with generous holes for drainage and compressed under pressure to drive out the moisture.

The logs are then removed from the form and allowed to continue drying. When done, they are stacked up and eventually burned. ---CONTINUED---

Return to “Fuels-Types of”