Sewer Problems

Trash, alternate 'Pottie' ideas and Waste Management ideas
Readymom
Site Admin

Sewer Problems

Post by Readymom »

Originally posted by (Ktea) at Fluwikie:

:?: I'm wondering if there is no power, water etc. what are the possible problems that could cause sewers to back up into the basement, any preventive measures or ideas on what to do if it happens? Is this a big enough risk that preps should not be on the floor?

For Further discussion on this topic, go to:
http://magictour.free.fr/fw/FW0053.HTM
Readymom
Site Admin

Septic Tanks -- Keep Them Running

Post by Readymom »

Here are some great suggestions on how to keep your Septic Tank running smoothly for maximum performance! If you have a septic tanks, there are some easy hints, using yogurt or spoiled milk. It's worth reading!

* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

Original Post by (annika)
:arrow: 2-3 weeks ago we started having plumbing problems. Toilets that wouldn't flush "right", or would stop up for no apparent reason.

One day the toilet stopped up, and I thought I had it unstopped, so I flushed it again just to make sure. It overflowed. Then I glanced over into the shower, and there was dirty water in it.
[snip]
To make a long story short, we had a clog in between the house and the septic tank, plus the septic tank was full. We ended up calling a plumber,...
[snip]
That's when we learned that septic tanks need to be emptied every few years. From what I've read on the internet, apparently a LOT of people don't know this. Septic tanks should come with instruction manuals!

If you have a septic tank that hasn't been emptied in a few years, you might want to go ahead and have it done.
Silent Bob

Re: Sewer Problems

Post by Silent Bob »

We built our house in 1976 and it has a septic tank . I use Ridex every month . In 1999 I decided it would be a good idea to pump it out in case Y2K was for real . So here it is 2010 and I still use Ridex every month and still have only had it pumped out once in all those years .
Silent Bob

Post by Silent Bob »

Readymom wrote:Originally posted by (Ktea) at Fluwikie:

:?: I’m wondering if there is no power, water etc. what are the possible problems that could cause sewers to back up into the basement…any preventive measures or ideas on what to do if it happens? Is this a big enough risk that preps should not be on the floor?

For Further discussion on this topic, go to:
http://www.fluwikie2.com/index.php?n=Fo ... erProblems
If you want to seal off the tolet , try filling heavy duty trash bags ( at least 3 together ) with sand and when you flush all the water that you can get out of your tolet bowl place the sand bag in it . This should stop or at least slow down the rate of back up . I have heard opeople stuffing a rubber ball in the hole , but I would be conserned that I could not get it back out.
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Video: Sewer System Backflow Prevention

Important House Prep
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9R3M6GBYw8&feature=player_embedded

Video Info:
Video host discusses why a sewer system backflow prevention device is needed, especially after emergency events that bring the power grid down.
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Video: Sewer System Backflow Prevention

Prepping In The City ~ Sewer Gas Problems
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwqQ1FDMilI&feature=channel&list=UL

Video Info:
How to make a sewer system backflow plug with newspaper, in the event of a grid-down sewer system back-flow scenario.

Return to “Sanitation”