Masks & Respirators-General Information

Readymom
Site Admin

Masks & Respirators-General Information

Post by Readymom »

Original post from birdflu.about.com

* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

What is a Mask?:
A mask is a physical barrier between your mouth and nose and your environment. Not all masks are the same. Some masks are called particulate respirators because they filter particles, such as droplets of respiratory secretions emitted by a person infected by the H5N1 avian flu virus when he or she sneezes or coughs. Some masks make a seal around your face, others do not.

What is the Difference Between a Mask, Respirator and Face Shield?:
The terms are often used interchangeably, but there is a difference. Air must pass through respirators such as N95, N99 and N100 masks, whereas when using a simple mask, such as a procedural mask or a surgical mask, air may also be breathed in from the "leaky" sides. See the definition of N95, N99 and N100.

What Do Masks Filter Out?:
Masks provide a physical barrier between common entry paths of viruses and bacteria, your mouth and nose, and the germ. Germs, or particle the germs are riding on, become trapped in the mask. N95 masks are 95 per cent efficient at filtering out particles that are greater than 3 micrometers in diameter. N99 masks are 99 per cent efficient and N100, 100 per cent efficient. Droplets emitted by sneezing, coughing or talking are 5 micrometers or bigger, so these masks will work well for influenza infection control.

Masks Do Not Provide Total Protection:
Masks provide some protection if used properly. Masks must be fit properly each time they are used. While helpful in preventing infection since large droplets are the type emitted by an infected person when he or she sneezes or coughs, masks can give people a false sense of confidence. This confidence may lead to participating in high risk activities to contract bird flu unnecesarily during an outbreak or pandemic. Goggles, gloves, aprons and boots are other personal protection equipment items people in close contact with deadly germs may need. Remember that another entry way for germ laden droplets are the eyes.

Who Should Wear a Mask:
At this time, H5N1 bird flu is not very transmissible among humans, so it is not necessary to wear a mask unless you find yourself in an area where highly pathogenic bird flu has been confirmed or you research avian influenza and have contact with samples that may contain highly pathogenic avian influenza. The most common mode of transmission of bird flu is from direct contcat with birds. If there is an outbreak of highly pathogenic avian influenza or pandemic flu, please refer to Who Should Wear a Mask.

Kind of Mask You Need:
The types of masks that will help protect you from H5N1 bird flu and other types of influenza if used properly are:
  • N95 masks that are both NIOSH certified and FDA approved or the European equivalent, FFP2. These are respirators AND surgical masks.
    N99 or N100 standard mask.
    Surgical masks and procedural masks are much cheaper than the above masks, but they will not efficiently protect you from getting influenza because they have "leaky" sides. It is recommended that patients wear surgical masks, however, to reduce the spread of the virus from coughing and sneezing.
Masks for Children:
In general, masks are made for workers, not for children. Some masks may fit small faces better than others, but at least in the US there are no child specific N95 masks. Children should avoid participating in high bird flu risk activities. Please see Children and Bird Flu Prevention.

What if I Cannot Afford to Buy Masks or They are Not Available:
In fact, you can make your own mask that would be better than no mask in case of an outbreak. (See the article "Simple Respiratory Mask" in the CDC's free online journal, Emerging Infectious Diseases.) However, a makeshift mask is not a substitute for avoiding the top 10 bird flu risk activities. In fact, wearing a mask can boost a user's confidence and encourage him or her to participate in activities he or she would avoid under "no mask" circumstances.

How Many Masks You Need:
For most people, 90 masks of N95 efficiency or higher should be enough for a 6 week period, but before you buy masks, see the pros and cons of pandemic stockpiling.
If you plan to buy masks, the quantity you buy will depend upon your exposure. See how many masks you need for a list of how many masks are needed for: healthcare workers, public service workers, family and friends of sick people, poultry workers, and those who work in funeral homes and burial services.

Where to Buy Bird Flu Masks:
Once you have decided to buy a mask, you may want to look over this list of N95 NIOSH certified and FDA approved Masks to find manufacturers and models that comply to these norms. Then proceed to buy masks from an authorized vendor such as:
  • Hospital Supply Stores.
    Hospital Supply Catalogs.
    N95 Masks and Simple Surgical Masks Online (3M Respirators, Dynarex and CVS surgical masks).
Updated: January 23, 2007
Readymom
Site Admin

The Proper Fit for PPE: Masks

Post by Readymom »

InfectionControlToday

The Proper Fit for PPE
https://www.infectioncontroltoday.com/hand-hygiene/proper-fit-ppe

(Scroll down to the section on 'masks' ...)

Gowns, gloves and masks cannot protect you if they do not properly fit. Protect yourself and your patient by suiting up smart. ....

(SNIP)

Surgical Masks
Use the right mask for the right job, says Truscott. Unfortunately many clinicians don't understand which mask is the correct choice because the information is not communicated well, she says. ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Masks & Respirators-General Information

Post by Readymom »

RESPIRATOR TYPES
https://www.osha.gov/video/respiratory-protection/resp-types/transcript

There are two main types of respirators:

air-purifying respirators, which use filters, cartridges, or canisters to remove contaminants from the air you breathe, and atmosphere-supplying respirators, which provide you with clean air from an uncontaminated source. ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Respirator Fact Sheet-What You Should Know in Deciding Whether to Buy Escape Hoods, Gas Masks, or Other Respirators for Preparedness at Home and Work
https://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/factsheets/respfact.html

Includes:
  • Is buying an escape hood or other type of respirator the best way to protect myself, my family, and/or my employees?
  • What is a respirator?
  • Can I buy any Gas Mask or Escape Respirator and expect it to protect me from anything that might happen?
  • If I have the right cartridges/filters for a certain hazard, and my mask fits, will they always protect me against that hazard?
  • Can anyone wear a respirator mask?
  • Will a gas mask protect children?
  • Will my cartridge/filter and respirator mask protect forever?
  • If I wear a Gas Mask correctly, am I completely safe?
  • Will a Gas Mask protect me if there is not enough oxygen in the air?
  • Will a Gas Mask protect me if there is a fire?
  • Once I put on my Gas Mask or Escape Respirator, how long will it last?
  • How do I know a respirator will protect me against the hazards it claims to protect against?
  • The Questions You Should Ask About Any Respirator You Are Considering Purchasing
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

A Prepper’s Guide to Respirator Masks
https://www.theorganicprepper.com/preppers-guide-respirator-masks/

A respirator mask is a prep that is potentially lifesaving, doesn’t cost a lot of money, and is oft-overlooked in the prepper world. Some folks like to invest in gas masks (which, of course, are irreplaceable during certain types of disasters) or they forget about respiration altogether.

The importance of something that can help you breathe without sucking harmful particles or vapors into your lungs cannot be overstated. After all, in the prepper’s adage of 3, air comes first:

3 minutes without air
3 days without water
3 weeks without food ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Video: Face Masks, Part 1
https://www.doomandbloom.net/video-face-masks-part-1/?fbclid=IwAR0yBpqxaWl-6YHTlxYU98bajbGkeE803UqTJht4dsHXrbcGukmRapM4wEU

(SNIP) ...
In this video, Joe Alton MD discusses the history of infectious disease (did you know a founding father was the discoverer of one?) and the evolution of the practice of wearing masks. He’ll talk about the basics of different kinds of masks commonly used for disaster medical preparedness. Part one of a series. ---CONTINUED---

Return to “Protective Gear-Masks”