Where to Store Water

Bottles,buckets,barrels,wells and lots of other choices here!
Readymom
Site Admin

Where to Store Water

Post by Readymom »

Can My Water Storage Be Outside?
https://www.thereadystore.com/water-storage/18305/faq-can-my-water-storage-be-outside/

One of the many questions we get asked here at The Ready Store is, "Can I store my water containers outside?". The short answer to this is, yes, of course, you can store your water outside. The longer answer is, yes, of course, you can store your water outside, but you're going to need to work a little harder to keep your water fresh and pure.

Ideal Storage Conditions for Water - First of all, ... ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Where to Store Water

Post by Readymom »

Where to Store Water
http://www.nationalterroralert.com/safewater/

(Snip) ... Clearly label all water containers “drinking water” with the current date. Store the water in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight and heat sources. Do not store it near gasoline, kerosene, pesticides or similar substances.

When potable water is properly stored, it should have an indefinite shelf life; however, it’s a good idea to use and replace the stored water every 6 – 12 months. Rotating water this way provides you with an opportunity to experiment and check the amount of stored water against what you require. It also serves as an additional precaution against bacteria or viruses growing in containers which may not have been thoroughly or properly cleaned and sanitized.

If you have freezer space, storing some water in the freezer is a good idea. If you lose electricity, the frozen water will help keep foods in your freezer frozen until the power is restored. Make sure you leave 2 to 3 inches of space in containers because water expands as it freezes.
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Where to Store Water

Post by Readymom »

* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

Where should I store the water and for how long?

Store containers in a cool, dry place away from direct sunlight. Because most plastic beverage containers degrade over time, store them away from heat and light to prevent leakage. Because hydrocarbon vapors can penetrate polyethylene plastics, store water in plastic containers away from gasoline, kerosene, pesticides, or similar substances.

Water weighs over 8 pounds per gallon. Make sure the shelves or area in which you store the water is strong enough to support the weight. For best quality, replace water stored from a public, or vended water supply every six months. For commercially bottled distilled or drinking water, check the label for an expiration date. If none is given, bottled water with the IBWA or NSF seal should have a shelf-life of at least one year. To improve the taste of water stored for a long time, pour it from one clean container to another clean container several times, to put air back into it.

You can also store water for an extended period of time in the freezer. If you lose electricity, the frozen water will help keep foods in the freezer frozen until power is restored. Leave 2 to 3 inches of air space in the top of containers before freezing, to keep the container from breaking as water expands during freezing. Some glass containers may break regardless of the air space provided.

Return to “Water Storage Options”