Condiments to Make (Mayo, Ketchup & Others)

Recipes from various sources like discussion forums and food-related websites
Readymom
Site Admin

Condiments to Make (Mayo, Ketchup & Others)

Post by Readymom »

Original post by (kr105) at PlanForPandemic:

http://planforpandemic.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=
Well, most of us have a lot of tuna in our preps, and I'm sure that many have figured tuna salad sandwiches into their prep menus. The problem is that mayo has a very short shelf life. With that in mind, I've started to play with home-made mayo recipes and they have left a lot to be desired.

Today's attempt was a recipe from the Culinary Arts Institute's Encyclopedic Cookbook. (Don't waste your time on it, if you have this cookbook.) It went from the mixing bowl, down the kitchen sink drain in one swift motion. YUCK!!!! Hellman's has nothing to worry about.

So my question is for all of those preppers who are queens (and kings) of the kitchen. Do any of you actually make homemade mayo and if so, do you have a recipe to share? I'd like to cross this off my "to-do" list soon.

Thanks! Have to go brush my teeth and gargle to get that nasty taste out of my mouth. The lengths we preppers will go to!
Discussion continued at: http://planforpandemic.com/viewtopic.ph ... highlight=

:arrow: Winning Recipe by (NawtyBits) at PlanForPandemic (same thread as above)\
1 egg yolk*
1/2 teaspoon fine salt
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
2 pinches sugar
2 teaspoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
1 cup oil, safflower or corn

In a glass bowl, whisk together egg yolk and dry ingredients. Combine lemon juice and vinegar in a separate bowl then thoroughly whisk half into the yolk mixture. Start whisking briskly, then start adding the oil a few drops at a time until the liquid seems to thicken and lighten a bit, (which means you?ve got an emulsion on your hands). Once you reach that point you can relax your arm a little (but just a little) and increase the oil flow to a constant (albeit thin) stream. Once half of the oil is in add the rest of the lemon juice mixture.
Continue whisking until all of the oil is incorporated. Leave at room temperature for 1 to 2 hours then refrigerate for up to 1 week.

*Typical raw egg warning...

Notes:

Pasturized eggs do NOT emulsify well, you get soup. The fresher the egg, the better the emulsion.
I like corn oil over safflower oil.
Adding several drops of Liquid Garlic (not garlic juice) makes an excellent garlic mayo. Schilling brand Liquid Garlic, in the spice section, is basically an oil infused with garlic, and is rather potent...but great in cooking.
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Mayonnaise & Other Condiments to Make

Post by Readymom »

Condiments
https://heavenlyhomemakers.com/recipes-2/condiments

Includes recipes for:

Almond Butter
Apple Butter
Barbeque Sauce
Blueberry Pancake and Waffle Syrup
Cream of Mushroom Soup
French Dressing
French Onion Dip
Italian Salad Dressing
Ketchup
Onion Soup Mix
Peach Syrup (for pancakes and waffles)
Peanut Butter (just peanuts!)
Peanut Butter (super creamy – like Skippy or Jif)
Ranch Salad Dressing
Sausage Seasoning Mix
Seasoned Salt
Spicy Ranch Dressing
Sunbutter
Sweet Pickle Relish
Taco Seasoning Mix
Teriyaki Sauce
Thousand Island Salad Dressing
Turkey Gravy
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Condiments to Make (Mayo & Others)

Post by Readymom »

2 Homemade Ketchup Recipes – One for Canning, One Probiotic
https://commonsensehome.com/2-homemade-ketchup-recipes/

Homemade ketchup seems somehow mysterious, but once you find a good recipe, it's not complicated to make. My youngest loves ketchup, so I tried out several homemade ketchup recipes until we found some he liked.

The first ketchup recipe uses fresh tomatoes, and is suitable for canning or freezing for long term storage.

The second ketchup recipe is lacto-fermented, so you get some probiotics with your burger and fries. It starts with tomato paste, so it's a cinch to whip up. ---CONTINUED---

Return to “Food: Recipes”