Flies

The decline in the number of cats and dogs might result in an explosion of rats and mice and other small animal pests. The increase in trash not properly disposed of may increase those pests AND other creepy crawlers. How do we prepare for that possiblity?

Readymom
Site Admin

Flies

Post by Readymom »

Flies-Keeping them Away

Hat Tip: Image Original post by 'Tigger2' at American Preppers Network

Image AmericanPreppersNetwork

Man, you ain't going to believe this
* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

:arrow: I save the zip lock baggies when we thaw something out of the freezer. I wash them out if they are not clear and then let them dry. I feed my dogs on the back porch and flies are a real problem. My back porch is open. In the summer, every time I go out or come in through the back door at least 6 flies would get in. Then you got to get a fly swatter and swat them.

Now here comes the you ain't going to believe this part. I took 2 small finishing nails and nailed them about a 1/4 less than the width of a sandwich bag. One for each side of the bag. I did this on each side of the kitchen window which looks out onto the back porch. I did this on each side of the outside of the door on the back porch. I did this every 3 feet on the porch roof. You got to put the nails up first. Then you take the clean bags and fill about 3/4 full of water. Then you press each corner of the bag onto a nail. When you get done, you got a hanging bag of clear water. I do this each march before the flies start coming out. Here come the other part of you ain't going to believe this. No more flies on the back porch. They don't get in my dog food bowls. I go in and out mostly at the back door. That means that there are way less flies in the house. Now you are thinking how does this work. Nobody knows for sure. The leading theory is that the water in the bags acts like a prism and devides the light into all the colors. The theory says that the light devided into the basic colors blinds the flies. They can't see. It is almost like a force field for flies. The bags have to be clean and let the sun light hit the water.
If the bags get dusty the effect stops working.

When I read that article, I thought this is a bunch of bs. Then I thought what have I got to loose, not much. It works. During the summer I can stand at my kitchen window and watch the flies fly in. They will veer off. They won't land on the porch. The bags have to be clean and let the sun light hit them. If the bags get dirty, you either need to clean them or use some new ones. I am a skeptic by heart. I tried this and it works. look it up.

:arrow: (edited by RM to update links) The bags have to be hung where they will get the sun light. If it is very shaded, it won't work.

What's the purpose of bags of water hanging in restaurants?
http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/1956/whats-the-purpose-of-bags-of-water-hanging-in-restaurants

Fly Bye
http://www.snopes.com/critters/wild/flies.asp

If the bags get dirty or dusty, they stop working. Most summers, I have to change them out at least 1 time. It either works or it don't. It works here and is a lot better than spraying poison.
Readymom
Site Admin

Re: Flies

Post by Readymom »

White Flies

All about whiteflies and whitefly control
* Link Unavailable. This site is no longer active and available to view on line. But the info was good and we wanted to keep sharing it!

Introduction to whiteflies
Adult whiteflies resemble tiny white moths. However, they are not closely related to moths but are more related to scale insects. They are only about 1/16 inch in length and have four wings. The wings and body are covered with a fine white powdery wax. The immature stages (nymphs), which are found on the underside of leaves, are flat, oval in outline, and slightly smaller than a pin head. They are light green to whitish and somewhat transparent.

A generalized life cycle of the whitefly is as follows: The eggs are laid on the undersides of the leaves and hatch in four to 12 days into active, six legged nymphs (crawlers). The crawlers move about for several hours, then insert their mouthparts into the leaves and remain in one place for the rest of their immature stages. After molting three times they pupate (resting stage) and are transformed into the adult. The length of the life cycle from egg to adult varies considerably, requiring from 6 weeks to 6 months (winter generation).

Whiteflies have piercing-sucking mouthparts with which they puncture the leaf and suck the plant juices. Top sides of leaves on infested plants become pale or spotted due to these insects feeding on the undersides of the leaves. Whiteflies as well as soft scales, mealybugs, and aphids excrete large amounts of honeydew which provides an excellent medium for the growth of a black fungus called sooty mold. Besides being unattractive, sooty mold interferes with photosynthesis, somewhat retards the growth of the plant, and causes early leaf drop. Sooty mold usually weathers away following control of the insect infestation. Ants feed on the honeydew and when ants are noticed, plants should be examined closely for these sucking pests.

Whitefly Control and Management
Although efforts to control and get rid of whiteflies are ongoing, there are several potential options for whitefly control. However, it is necessary to consider the site (landscape, hedge, large tree, container, production, etc), the size and number of trees, and the surrounding environment before taking steps to control this pest.

Monitor your ficus plants for early signs of an infestation because it will be easier to manage the pest before it builds to high populations and causes major damage. Also, if infested trees or hedges are trimmed, either leave the clippings on the property or if removing, bag the clippings to reduce the chance of spreading the insects. If clippings are being transported in a truck, be sure to either bag them or cover these clippings with a tarp.

Natural Resources Pest Control has proven methods for whiteflies and whitefly control. Using topical sprays to protect ficus leaves and systemic treatments, we're able to get rid of whitefly reproduction cycles and extinguish whitefly on your property.
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Fly Control Plastic Bags
https://www.dirtdoctor.com/garden/Fly-Control-Plastic-Bags_vq1642.htm

I’ve seen the use of water in a plastic bag as a fly repellent for over a year and it seems to be growing in use. What an “expert” from my area claimed was that the fly mistook the bag as a large spider web. Something about the way the water bulging in a clear plastic bag causes a prism effect and confuses the fly. ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Image Hat Tip to rick1, over at EHP-D:

How to Get Rid of Fruit Flies
https://www.almanac.com/news/almanac/everything/how-get-rid-fruit-flies

A fruit fly infestation can be a truly annoying experience. Here’s how to get rid of fruit flies, including how to make your own fruit fly trap! ---CONTINUED---
Readymom
Site Admin

Post by Readymom »

Get Rid of Flies with Homemade Sticky Fly Paper
https://everydayroots.com/sticky-paper-fly-trap

(BIG SNIP) ... It’s really very simple to come up with your own method of getting rid of the nasty buggers, including making your own sticky fly paper. ---CONTINUED---

Return to “Rodents, Rats, Mice, Bugs and other annoying critters”